I received a huge amount of beets over the past couple of weeks in my CSA, and I’m the only one in the family that likes beets. With this slight dilemma I tried to find a way to use a large amount of them in one meal. I decided to roast my beets and serve them with this great dressing inspired by Love and Lemons. I also added a big bunch of carrots to the mix and finished it off with some crumbled feta and sunflower seeds.
- 6-8 beets (depending on size)
- 6-8 carrots
- 6 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- handful of sunflower seeds
- handful of crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 4-6 tablespoons water or olive oil (or a combination)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Chop vegetables into even sized pieces. Arrange in roasting pan, add garlic cloves and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast vegetables and garlic at 400F for 1-1.5 hours. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Check that both beets and carrots are soft all the way through.
- Combine lemon juice, tahini and maple syrup. Adjust with water and olive oil until you get the consistency you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss roasted vegetables with tahini lemon dressing, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and cheese and serve at room temperature.
You can speed up your roasting time by covering the vegetables with foil and increasing the heat to 450F. You would probably be done in 1 hour depending on the size you cut your vegetables.