We are in Europe right now – follow our adventures in Switzerland and Spain on Instagram! Hope to see you there.
I like salads with some bulk in the summer to change things up a bit from the tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers we might be tossing together. This quinoa salad is a perfect side to any protein you choose to make, but also uses a large amount of produce you can readily find at your market these days. What I also like about this salad is that it keeps really well, even with the dressing, which means it’s perfect to make ahead. For that reason I also added it to my menu that I shared last week in my summer special issue. I wanted this salad to be searchable in my archives, so I thought I’d pull it out as a separate recipe this week. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cup cooked and cooled quinoa (I used white and black quinoa)
- 4 small cucumbers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1 cup red or green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked chili powder
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa with veggies, apples, grapes,pecans and herbs. Toss to combine,
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, honey and a couple pinches of salt, pepper and chili.
- Toss everything together and taste for seasonings, adding more salt if needed.
adapted from Camille Styles